CDA Greater Hartford Regional Meetings
The Connecticut Dance Alliance has planned four dates for Greater Hartford Regional meetings. Please mark the following dates on your calendar and plan to join us:
Sunday, November 15th – 7pm to 8:30pm at Playhouse on Park
wine and cheese will be served
Monday, February 1st – 12pm to 1:30pm at Playhouse on Park
lunch will be served
Sunday, March 6th – 7pm to 8:30pm at Playhouse on Park
wine and cheese will be served
Monday, May 2nd – 12pm to 1:30pm at Playhouse on Park
lunch will be served
Everyone and anyone interested in supporting the efforts of the CT Dance Alliance or seeking the support of others in attendance are welcome to attend. These meetings are free to CT Dance Alliance Members and there is a suggested $5 donation for non-members. Meetings will include round table discussion, networking & promotional opportunities and guest speakers.
Suggestions for discussion topics and guest speakers are welcome. RSVP’s are encouraged but not mandatory. Attendees are encouraged to bring promotional materials, there will be a share table available.
The first meeting of the season is scheduled for Sunday, November, 15th at Playhouse on Park. Please join us for wine, cheese and conversation. Playhouse on Park is located at 244 Park Road, West Hartford (easy access from rte 84) Parking is available on Park Road or any of the surrounding side streets. Please rsvp to Tracy Flater at tflater@PlayhouseTheatreGroup.org or 860-523-5900 ext 12
Webinar: Deconstructing the NCCAS Dance Standards: CREATING
Wednesday, April 29th from 7 – 9pm
NDEO is offering a series of 5 webinars regarding the new dance standards. The first webinar (Introduction to the Standards) took place on March 11th and a recording is now available to members for free until April 28th. The next webinar will review the Artistic Process of Creating.
1) Pre-Recorded: Introduction to the National Core Arts Standards in Dance (2 hours in length). Available for download to members for free until April 28th. To register for the Intro (pre-recorded) webinar, click here.
2) Live Webinar: Deconstructing the NCCAS Standards: CREATING
April 29, 2015 Wednesday 7:00-9:00 PM Eastern Time Zone. The cost is $15 for NDEO members and $25 for Non-Members. To register for the Creating (live) webinar, click here.
3 Additional Opportunities:
Further enrich your understanding of the new dance standards with these intensive upcoming professional development opportunities:
1) Conference: Hear from other dance teachers about their experience implementing the standards in their classrooms and studios by attending our weekend conference Dance Education: Standards in Action Conference from January 29-31, 2016 at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel at Berkeley Marina in Berkeley, California. 1.5 CEUs. Registration coming soon.
2) Online Course: Develop a plan to implement the standards in your classroom or studio as a student in our upcoming Summer 2015 OPDI course that starts on May 25th: OPDI-112: Implementing the New National Core Dance Arts Standards. Participants will analyze the content of the standards and develop curriculum and lesson plans based on the new standards specific to their unique teaching environment. 3 CEUs. $450 tuition fee. REGISTER NOW.
3) Online Course: Learn about the Model Cornerstone Assessments so you can measure student learning after implementing the new standards by taking our Fall 2015 OPDI course: OPDI-M8: Designing Model Cornerstone Assessments. 1.5 CEUs. $250 tuition fee. Registration coming soon.
Register for it all – the webinars (topline overview), the conference (real-world experiences) and the two online courses (making it work in your school) to receive an in depth and comprehensive education in the new dance standards!
NDEO Student Conference Scholarships
Apply NOW. Deadline is June 8th
NDEO is proud to offer annual scholarships to highly qualified dance or dance education college students pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree full-time in dance or dance education to help defray the costs associated with attending NDEO’s 2015 Annual National Conference in Phoenix, Arizona.
For the 2015 Annual Conference, NDEO will offer a $300 scholarship to ONE undergraduate student and a $300 scholarship to ONE graduate student.
To get more information about our national conference in Phoenix, go to www.ndeo.org/conf2015.
TINY SHORTS: brief dances in small spaces
TINY SHORTS challenges choreographers and audience members to stretch their vision of what is possible for dance in unconventional spaces and invites audiences to engage with the pure entertainment of adventurous dance in small bites. TINY SHORTS reimagines the Elm City Dance Festival for 2015.
Save the Date! TINY SHORTS swings into New Haven November 6th & 7th
The performers are challenged with presenting a piece that is:
- short: dances must be 5 minutes or less in length
- confined: dances will be performed in a small restaurant or bar space (dimensions tbd)
- entertaining: dances must be unique and entertaining
Send an email to email@example.com by June 1st, 2015 with:
- a link to video of your piece (rehearsal videos are acceptable)
- an attachment addressing the following:
- Company/Performer Name
- Proposed piece
- Year piece was choreographed if not new work
- Costumes by
- Length of work
- One-sentence description of work
- Number of performers
- Additional promotional materials: quotes, photos, etc.
- Contact email
- List of props if any
- Whether your performance involves audience participation: If so, please describe
- Whether your performance involves nudity
- How your piece integrates the spirit of TINY SHORTS.
- **TINY SHORTS will take place in the evening on November 6th & 7th, 2015. You must be available to tech during the day on November 6th. Performance stipends contingent on grant funding.
Please check out our website www.nysdea.org. Enjoy!
Introducing Meet Me on Park™
A marketing collaboration between merchants on Park Road
WEST HARTFORD, CT- West Hartford’s local businesses right on Park Road have united in a marketing collaboration called “Meet Me on Park™.” This growing alliance among local businesses is striving to inform the West Hartford community and beyond of what Park Road has to offer.
Park Road has many enticing destinations for getting together with friends and family both day and night and for whatever mood you may be in. Tucked away on the quaint and homey Park Road is an eclectic mix of shops, restaurants, theatre, salons, and more! Park Road naturally blends cultures, tastes, and lifestyles and is the home of some of West Hartford’s best-kept secrets.
For more information please visit our website at http://www.MeetMeOnPark.com and like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MeetMeOnPark. Stop by one of our local businesses for a Meet Me on Park™ map or download one from the website.
Tell your friends to meet you on Park!
VOLUNTEER WORKSHOPS AT FOOTLIGHTS CENTER FOR PERFORMING ARTS
Footlights inspires Hartford teens to excel and discover their talents through the arts in a safe and fun environment. We are in the process of scheduling volunteer workshops to enrich our participants experience at Footlights. Workshops are normally on Tuesdays from 3:30-5:30pm. Our workshops are typically based in the Performing Arts, although we have also had success with programs that have offered “life skills” and other day-to-day success information. If you have something you would like to share that you think would benefit our students, please feel free to contact me by email or phone at anytime OR pass this email along to anyone you think might be interested!
Please contact Maggie A. Koozer, Program Manager, Footlights Center for Performing Arts, 750 Main Street, Suite 706, Hartford, CT 06103 860-244-3338
ATTENTION DANCE EDUCATORS
Nu Delta Alpha, an honor society in dance education, is now forming chapters for middle-high schools, universities, private studios, and professionals. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a brochure and information.
- The National Standards for Dance Education—written, published and copyrighted by the NDA, can be obtained by phoning 1-800-321-0789.
- NDA list serve Anyone can subscribe! For information, e-mail email@example.com and we will forward your request to the editor.
- “Spotlight” is now online. Click on the NDA website at www.aahperd.org/nda and go to the members only section for instructions.